REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Hondaracer 03-25-2020 04:15 PM

Good thing you got your house all sorted out before all this happened Quasi

quasi 03-25-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8979834)
Good thing you got your house all sorted out before all this happened Quasi

100%, I'm glad we're moved and settled. I mean there is still shit I haven't done like buy a lawn mower so right now I'm that neighbor but hopefully in the next 45-60 days shit will be back to normal or at least a little more normal than now. :)

Jmac 03-25-2020 04:48 PM

If you’re worried about whether it’s fair that some people will be getting money to stay home and how much your taxes are going up after this, shut the fuck up and count yourself fortunate.

Special K 03-25-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8979830)
You know "some people" paid fucking taxes too right? Some of them a lot more money, and for a lot longer than you have.
Times like this are a telltale of the types of people out there. I'm sure if you were laid off you'd be the first person to ask where your handout was. Guess what, lots of people are out there actually on the front lines, TREATING SICK PEOPLE, and they are still working, paying taxes, and wanting these measures SO PEOPLE ACTUALLY STAY HOME AND AREN'T FORCED TO FUCKING WORK TO SURVIVE. I genuinely wish people could opt out of paying taxes and not be allowed to take any of the benefits from them so they could see how it works.
Also, guess what would happen if a million people in this country weren't able to afford internet overnight? People like you would be laid off next. The economy is interconnected, and you aren't so special that you are exempt from that.

100%.

Everyone in this world has to contribute to get through the pandemic. Some do more, some do less. It doesn’t matter. Help those who need help. Take only what you need. Money is meaningless when people are dead / severely damaged.

6793026 03-25-2020 06:41 PM

I'm just blown away Canada and US are putting a lot of money behind this.

I've never seen TRILLION dollar ever in any news since the 80s, so i consider myself lucky,

FUCK, look at H1N1, SARS, HK / Asia didn't implement any rent / subsides / unemployment insurance... fuck that shit. I had friends who are extremely wealthy who are trying to find loop holes to get these EI benefits.. Bit*ch pleaseeeee.. you're complaining about not tax free, not interest free on mortgage deferral on your 5 investment properties..... F U....

BTW Nando's chicken is offering free chicken to front line workers...

subordinate 03-25-2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8979825)
I wouldn't just assume that people can't save up simply because they are trying to keep up with their richer friends (or even other poor friends who waste money on crap). Some people simply don't make enough money to do so while maintaining some sort of decent life. If they do save up, it's probably for their kids to go to college, or a meager addition for their own retirement.

A lot of these are the workers are providing the "essential services" we're currently relying on. Something to think about. That guy that delivered your food, the clerk at the grocery store, the people who keep the shelves stocked and the floors clean, and the garbage from piling up. These folks are also often the bottom earners, and they're the ones we need most right now.

It's a very right wing view to have, to assume that if someone didn't save up, it means they blew it all to show off on social media. Yes there are people like that, but I don't think they're the majority.

Quasi put it in the words I meant to express.

In addition, I wasn't referring to these essential workers, because they won't get the benefits of the fund. I'm talking about hospitality workers, etc that under declared tips for years, et cetera. I worked in the kitchen for 4 years.

I don't think the workers that are providing essential services, such as grocery clerks/janitors are even getting anything but what their respective companies have publicized. Haven't fully read the budget but if you factor in these workers are getting full time hours at lets say, 16/hr to 18/hr (@40 hours, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave less so they aren't full-time union perks) with the raise, gross is 2880 a month. I wouldn't be so thankful like others here that said just because you have a job, you should be thankful, because of the risk.

Anyways, I agree - for the benefit of overall society, this needs to happen. It'd be much needed for most.

welfare 03-25-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8979842)

I've never seen TRILLION dollar ever in any news since the 80s, so i consider myself lucky,

FUCK, look at H1N1, SARS, HK / Asia didn't implement any rent / subsides / unemployment insurance... fuck that shit. I had friends who are extremely wealthy who are trying to find loop holes to get these EI benefits.. Bit*ch pleaseeeee.. you're complaining about not tax free, not interest free on mortgage deferral on your 5 investment properties..... F U....

It is interesting,isn't it?
The federal reserve is openly printing unlimited currency now.
Surely with unlimited currency they can buy more beds. More medical supplies. More testing equipment.
Our government is handing out money for businesses and citizens to manage.
But what about the crux? Where is the money for healthcare? It's the entire reason why this disease is such a problem in the first place. It should be at the front of any spending bill dealing with this.
They have not employed a pathway to dealing with this. Just a band aid.

A robust healthcare system with widespread testing could have us on track toward managing this disease and getting back to producing.
Throwing money toward every other direction and neglecting the area that should matter most seems irresponsible. It's certainly not sustainable.
You can not "stimulate" an economy that has no product.

Harvey Specter 03-25-2020 07:09 PM

Just remember guys, our great leader tried to get a bill passed that would have given him and his party the authority to tax and spend without Parliament’s approval for 2 years. You would think the last thing on this guys mind would be personal political gains but guess not. This guy is something else.

Euro7r 03-25-2020 07:16 PM

Those that are currently unemployed should get what they should be entitled to, isn't that what they pay EI for haha. Although the one thing that pisses me off is the fact Canada had so much time to prepare for this before it hit. We casually cruised along til it hit us and still cruising our ass along because the Canadian government is useless AF. The longer it drags out, the harder it hits these unemployed workers and also the Canadian economy. All in all, we just got butt fucked by the government as we normally do.

westopher 03-25-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

And to laid off restaurant employees. Those sweet, sweet angels. As if I didn't love nandos enough already.

Jmac 03-25-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979847)
Just remember guys, our great leader tried to get a bill passed that would have given him and his party the authority to tax and spend without Parliament’s approval for 2 years. You would think the last thing on this guys mind would be personal political gains but guess not. This guy is something else.

It’s funny how much flak the Conservatives took for speaking out against that. I’m obviously not a fan of the Conservatives, but it was completely reasonable to oppose that.

westopher 03-25-2020 07:47 PM

Totally reasonable to oppose it, and I don't think they really did get a ton of flak from any of the media or the Libs. I think the cons, libs and the NDP have done a great job of leaving partisanship out of the issues for the first time in a long time. Even most of the media has other than senile old fucks like Rex Murphy.

Great68 03-25-2020 08:07 PM

I agree, two years of carte blanche was way too much power.

6 months or something I could understand, but 2 years no fucking way.

Was probably their plan though, go for something egregious and then scale it back to make it look like you "compromised"

GS8 03-25-2020 08:41 PM

https://i.imgur.com/pdFvcNM.jpg

Religious or not, when I see photos like this, it resonates within my heart.

spoon.ek9 03-25-2020 09:08 PM

USA recorded 13,355 new cases today......

Trump wants everyone to go back to work in 2 weeks :pokerface:

Edit: USA is now less than 6000 cases behind Italy

Mr.HappySilp 03-25-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8979830)
You know "some people" paid fucking taxes too right? Some of them a lot more money, and for a lot longer than you have.
Times like this are a telltale of the types of people out there. I'm sure if you were laid off you'd be the first person to ask where your handout was. Guess what, lots of people are out there actually on the front lines, TREATING SICK PEOPLE, and they are still working, paying taxes, and wanting these measures SO PEOPLE ACTUALLY STAY HOME AND AREN'T FORCED TO FUCKING WORK TO SURVIVE. I genuinely wish people could opt out of paying taxes and not be allowed to take any of the benefits from them so they could see how it works.
Also, guess what would happen if a million people in this country weren't able to afford internet overnight? People like you would be laid off next. The economy is interconnected, and you aren't so special that you are exempt from that.

You mean like people who live outside of their means, max their credit cards and only makes minimum payment? Or rather than save their income would rather spend it on designer bag, leave a BMW to impress their dates? We always been laugh and mock at China but look at what happens now? Wuhan was in lock down for 2 months almost 3 and they people aren't getting a dime from the government yet they can still pay their bills, rent, mortgage regular household spending just fine. Even other cities outside of Wuhan was in lock for a month or more. Yet in Vancouver or even the whole Canada people can't support themselves of they miss a paycheque. Some not buy choice but many do and they rather spend all their money and live in the moment. There is an old saying in Chinese when it is sunny start collecting firewood for the rainy days.
People that are currently working are risking their lives nurses, doctors, cashier at the supermarket, stocking person at markets, mail package delivery guy, internet installers. A lot of these people aren't getting paid a lot yet they continue to work everyday risking their lives so others don't have to worry about the market not opening or their take out not arriving or there is still people out there making sure the city is safe. Why are these people not compensated for their effort?
Just today one of our tech have to self isolate coz of an asshole customer. She just came back a few days ago from one of the counties that's currently having a lot of new CoVID19 cases. She call to reconnect so we told her she have to wait. Didn't like that answer and called a few times and was told the same thing. She then decided to give a a different suite number but in the same building change her name by removing a letter and giving us fake OD. When the tech arrive and called her coz the suite number she give us doesn't exist she just said she give the wrong suite but is actually xxx. So tech went and is about to finish the install she tells him she might have misspell her name on the phone. Tech call us to update the info and that's when we realize what's going on. But is already too late nothing we can do. The supervisor give her a call and was pretty piss but what's done is done
We decided not to provide her service coz it is well within our right and told her she is luckily we aren't going to the police with this. She wasn't happy but we don't care. So our tech have to stay home for 14 days and hopefully he will be alright.

While people are risking their lives some people gets government funding to sit at home and be safe…… the government should give the $2k to everyone coz I am sure it just the people who are out of work but also landlords, people who are still working, business owners will appreciate it.

will068 03-25-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8979797)
its not a lot of money.

Agree. It should be more.

$1000 a month for every adult citizen perpetually. Period.

This removes any bureaucracy on keeping track of the money is spent, and who gets what.

This removes the boot off the neck for the people who need money the most. This will result in better mental health, physical health, and less burden to our health care system.

#AndrewYang #yanggang

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8979866)
Wuhan was in lock down for 2 months almost 3 and they people aren't getting a dime from the government yet they can still pay their bills, rent, mortgage regular household spending just fine.

Ummm

inv4zn 03-25-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

While people are risking their lives some people gets government funding to sit at home and be safe……

You dolt, the government isn't paying people to stay home, they are paying for people that lost income because of the virus. Those are not the same things.

By your logic, since you're clearly superior than those living outside their means, you should ask to be laid off and then you too can collect free money from the government to sit home and be safe, and also use your rainy day fund!!

I remember you from the housing market thread, and I'll tell you again what I told you there. Just because you had the privilege of living in your mom's basement rent free until your mid 30s, don't assume everyone else is just lazy and ignorant that they can't afford to miss one paycheque.

inv4zn 03-25-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Wuhan was in lock down for 2 months almost 3 and they people aren't getting a dime from the government yet they can still pay their bills, rent, mortgage regular household spending just fine.

Quote:

Roadblocks have sealed off cities, public transportation has been shut down and private cars have been mostly banned from the roads. In Wuhan, restrictions on individual movement have been stepped up in recent weeks, with residents now mostly barred from leaving their homes.

Among residents in Hubei, there are signs that anger and frustration are mounting. Chinese social media sites are flooded with posts from residents saying they have lost their jobs because of the extended lockdown, making it difficult to make payments on mortgages and loans. Others have described food shortages in their communities.

On Thursday, in a rare public rebuke of the government, disgruntled people in a residential community in Wuhan heckled high-level officials as they walked through the neighborhood on an inspection.

“Fake! Everything is fake!” shouted one resident at the delegation, which included Sun Chunlan, a vice premier leading the central government’s response to the outbreak.

The state-run People’s Daily newspaper later said that the accusations were aimed at local neighborhood officials who had “faked” delivery of vegetables and meat to residents. Ms. Sun ordered an immediate investigation into the issue.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/w...irus-cost.html

Hehe 03-25-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

The problem is that this time is different... unfortunately in a bad way.

During a crisis like 08 (financial) or 01 (dotcom), the problem was a single sector that rippled out affecting others. It was a relatively easier fix. You single out the problem, stabilize it, and the water eventually turns calm again.

This virus is affecting pretty much EVERY sector AND EVERY country at once. How do you stop something when it's not about a ripple... but tsunami coming from all directions hitting in all 7 seas?

In my honest opinion... the first priority is a vaccine (to prevent more people getting infected) and second, a treatment option (a cure so to speak).

Beyond that, for people who are still healthy, 2 things: making sure that they can be decently protected. This is the part where I feel Taiwan is doing great. They have system in place where you can easily find masks and everything you need to protect yourself. And they sanitize everywhere. This is the reason why they can keep school/stores open.
Next is testing, this is a la South Korea model where they just test pretty much everyone so they can stop any asymptomatic patients to be roaming freely.

Both options lead to a single purpose: to separate the infected vs. the uninfected. When you take all the infected out of the population and make sure the healthy people can't get infected easily, you slow the spread down to the minimum.

Nevertheless, without a definite solution to the problem (either a vaccine or a highly effective treatment), there is only one very difficult solution to this sadly. It doesn't matter whether you take Korea or Taiwan model, or a combination of the 2, it takes 1 careless person to spread everything out again. Thus, the solution is to see what kind of losses are we, as a society willing to take. Many countries, at least in the health system are already doing this. Many of them wouldn't provide all the resources to a patient once they pass a certain age.

In an economical term... I wish our politicians have the cojones to come out and say it out loud because it doesn't matter whether it's the 2trillion package US has or the blank cheque liberal asked in the original proposal. It's NOT going to matter. They aren't enough. Instead, we should focus on certain "essential" businesses that will be absolutely necessary for our economy to get back on its feet and let the other industry flow as is. If they make it, great, if not... too bad. But we shouldn't be putting out measures trying to save everything.

6793026 03-25-2020 10:50 PM

Most of you must have seen Bill Gate's Ted talk before... If you haven't seen it.. don't worry, the one thing resonated with me was: countries spent billions of dollars on building missiles and war prep.... pandemic.. nahhh. Zero.. we don't care... we never thought a 'flu' would get us. Gotta say... totally hits home.

H1N1 and all the other flu started in Africa, never reached urban areas.... NOW... bam.. NY is in state of emergency, they are asking for 20,000 ventilators but nope, Trump will only give you 4000.

Few things about politics, these trillion dollars (USA funds & subsides. Canada is still billions) are the country's contingency funds (can only be assessed if state of emergency of provinces and voted thru by cabinet etc. If state of emergency of entire Canada is in place.... it's going to be a HUGE shit show; meaning... lock down + curfews (my guess) will be in place 1st.

Look at Canada, we are putting in roughly 2k per month for 3 months? and it could be as fast as 1st week of April. That's pretty darn fast for those who gets it; and to all you mofo lazy ass fuckers... it's money to tie you over a bit... not a fucking bucket to keep you lavish lifestyle.
Of course all politicians are asking for 75% of wages blah blah blah, no income tax, waive property tax, hell, give out free grants.... Don't blame them... it's like a kid asking for $100 for xmas... better start with $500 and then negotiate.

lastly.. steve nash gym lay off + 24 hr fitness... lay off....

Think of all the small businesses; I have someone calling me on Tuesday saying... FALLKKKK, I can't afford to fire my employees... they have been here for 10-18 yrs... severance will be huge... cause if this blows over, do i hire them again in 1 month. If I don't fire them,... I have a 90k payroll due April 1.... Tears were coming down from this 60 yr old established legacy business owner....

he'll lose his business and go into bankruptcy + someone will take shut the doors of his business (so he has to move his shit out).... AND he has to deal with his own mortgage payment.....

welfare 03-25-2020 11:05 PM

So with this $82 billion money flush, has our government set aside any of that huge amount of debt for this?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6731689/w...w-coronavirus/
Quote:

1.Expand, train and deploy their health care and public health workforce.

2. Implement a system to find every suspected case at the community level.

3. Ramp up production capacity and availability of testing.

4. Identify, adapt and keep facilities countries will use to treat and isolate patients.

5. Develop a clear process to quarantine contacts.

6. Focus the whole of government on fighting COVID-19.
If not, they will continue to rain debt from the sky for at least a year when a vaccine is available.
Can you just imagine what the interest on this debt will be?
This virus needs to be managed, not ran from.

twitchyzero 03-26-2020 12:08 AM

lost a few brain cells reading the last 2 pages

anyone remember the movie the big short? 1% unemployment means roughly 40,000 in poverty will die..evident quite a few are living beyond their means but it's also an expensive place to live

i'll trade work from home for EI collecting shit-all (of which I've been paying for 16 years and enabling for the first time)

duty calls: did NYC first responders get paid handsomely during 9/11? servicewomen/men in world wars? those who go in health aren't after the money...throwing more money at the system wont suddenly mean more gowns and ventilators will appear...nor is it realistic to build hospitals in a week to code

youve seen a fair share of criticisms from me regarding our authorities in poorly mishandling the situation but if you only see the good in how measures were carried out in Hubei then grab a one way ticket there and enjoy having trucks dump piles of dirt as blockade and having your door welded shut then try paying for 2 months of meds/food/rent without assistance and then report back

stressful times, doesn't mean you can't have some compassion for EVERYONE involved...the techs, the isolated, the government policymakers, the business owners, everyone.

Hehe 03-26-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8979874)
Most of you must have seen Bill Gate's Ted talk before... If you haven't seen it.. don't worry, the one thing resonated with me was: countries spent billions of dollars on building missiles and war prep.... pandemic.. nahhh. Zero.. we don't care... we never thought a 'flu' would get us. Gotta say... totally hits home.

H1N1 and all the other flu started in Africa, never reached urban areas.... NOW... bam.. NY is in state of emergency, they are asking for 20,000 ventilators but nope, Trump will only give you 4000.

Few things about politics, these trillion dollars (USA funds & subsides. Canada is still billions) are the country's contingency funds (can only be assessed if state of emergency of provinces and voted thru by cabinet etc. If state of emergency of entire Canada is in place.... it's going to be a HUGE shit show; meaning... lock down + curfews (my guess) will be in place 1st.

Look at Canada, we are putting in roughly 2k per month for 3 months? and it could be as fast as 1st week of April. That's pretty darn fast for those who gets it; and to all you mofo lazy ass fuckers... it's money to tie you over a bit... not a fucking bucket to keep you lavish lifestyle.
Of course all politicians are asking for 75% of wages blah blah blah, no income tax, waive property tax, hell, give out free grants.... Don't blame them... it's like a kid asking for $100 for xmas... better start with $500 and then negotiate.

lastly.. steve nash gym lay off + 24 hr fitness... lay off....

Think of all the small businesses; I have someone calling me on Tuesday saying... FALLKKKK, I can't afford to fire my employees... they have been here for 10-18 yrs... severance will be huge... cause if this blows over, do i hire them again in 1 month. If I don't fire them,... I have a 90k payroll due April 1.... Tears were coming down from this 60 yr old established legacy business owner....

he'll lose his business and go into bankruptcy + someone will take shut the doors of his business (so he has to move his shit out).... AND he has to deal with his own mortgage payment.....

I'd recommend this gent to really talk to his employees. Let them know the difficulty he's in and discuss an option. Bankruptcy is one, but the idea is how to not get there.

As you said, many of his employees are there for 10+ years. They should know the owner quite well already. If none of them are willing to share some loads, then he might as well just declare bankruptcy and be done with.

I do commercial RE investing for a living. Ever since the whole virus thing broke out, I've started discussing with my business partners and big tenants to prepare for the worst. Ultimately, no one is safe. I had to take some cuts here and there, but the whole idea is to make everyone easier to weather this storm. If no one's willing to take a step back, then the whole thing would simply explode. Thus, in difficult moments like this... discussion and transparency are KEY. Talk to them... the gent might find surprising things his employees willing to do.