REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Teriyaki 03-25-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8979785)
I’ve had a sore throat and mild headache coming and going for like a week now. I’ve never had allergies in my life but that last few years it seems like I kind of have intermittent congestion etc. So not sure if I’ve developed allergies over time or what

Fellow allergy sufferer here. Had them since I was a kid so i've been through all sorts of hell.
For me, it just started to get bad it seems. Even with allergy pills I'm still getting some nose drippage. I'd rate it a 5/10 on allergy intensity level though.

A HEPA air filter is an excellent investment if you're in a smaller room (Won't do jack all if you have a mansion). Haven't looked back since I tried one years ago. Doubly so with a virus running amuck.

320icar 03-25-2020 12:34 PM

I’m pretty thankful I’m essential. I wouldn’t be able to afford the maxed out 55% for EI. I’d be better off getting sick and taking the 70% from my insurance.

I have no idea what people are gonna do in Vancouver. People who rent pay 2k/mo for a little one bedroom. What if they have car payments or feel like eating. Ouch...

Acura604 03-25-2020 12:44 PM

BC announcement.. $500 towards your rent paid directly to landlord:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-r...3QseEDGUP_taSU

After the BC Government announced this past weekend that it was banning evictions for non-payment of rent in BC Housing facilities amid the COVID-19 pandemic, BC Premier John Horgan announced a ban on evictions right across the province.

In addition, a new rental supplement will help households by offering up to $500 a month towards their rent, building on federal and provincial financial supports already announced for British Columbians facing financial hardship.

“With lost jobs and lost wages due to COVID-19, many tenants are worried they can’t make the rent. It’s a challenging time for landlords too,” said Horgan. “Nobody should lose their home as a result of COVID-19. Our plan will give much-needed financial relief to renters and landlords. It will also provide more security for renters, who will be able to stay in their homes without fear of eviction or increasing rents during this emergency.”

The funds will support renters experiencing a loss of income by helping them pay their rent and will be paid directly to landlords on their behalf, to ensure landlords continue to receive rental income during the pandemic. Benefiting people with low to moderate incomes, this supplement will be available to renters who are facing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 crisis, but do not qualify for existing rental assistance programs.

“People are feeling a lot of fear and anxiety and they need to be able to depend on the comfort and stability of home right now. Our government is taking steps to help take some of the pressure off renters and landlords and protect people’s health,” said Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. “We’re helping renters pay rent and giving them the peace of mind that they have a stable home in these unprecedented times, and ensuring that landlords can count on some rental income right now to keep them afloat too.”

The Province is implementing a number of additional measures to keep people housed and protect their health. These measures include:

A new temporary rent supplement will provide up to $500 per month, paid directly to landlords;
Halting evictions by ensuring a landlord may not issue a new notice to end tenancy for any reason. However, in exceptional cases where it may be needed to protect health and safety or to prevent undue damage to the property, landlords will be able to apply to the Residential Tenancy Branch for a hearing;
Halting the enforcement of existing eviction notices issued by the Residential Tenancy Branch, except in extreme cases where there are safety concerns. The smaller number of court ordered evictions are up to the courts, which operate independently of government;
Freezing new annual rent increases during the state of emergency;
Preventing landlords from accessing rental units without the consent of the tenant (for example, for showings or routine maintenance), except in exceptional cases where it is needed to protect health and safety or to prevent undue damage to the unit;
Restricting methods that renters and landlords can use to serve notices to reduce the potential transmission of COVID-19 (no personal service and allowing email);
Allowing landlords to restrict the use of common areas by tenants or guests to protect against the transmission of COVID-19.
To further support renters and landlords, the Residential Tenancy Branch will implement several additional actions, including adjourning and rescheduling hearings in situations where people need additional time to prepare and extending timelines for filing applications for dispute resolution.

These latest steps are part of government’s $5-billion COVID-19 Action Plan to provide income supports, tax relief and direct funding for people, businesses and services.

Ch28 03-25-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8979792)
I have no idea what people are gonna do in Vancouver. People who rent pay 2k/mo for a little one bedroom. What if they have car payments or feel like eating. Ouch...

I imagine everyone that's living downtown on a hospitality job wage is probably shitting themselves right now.

ilovebacon 03-25-2020 12:48 PM

With all the money coming to us. Does this mean that our tax bracket is much higher when this virus is over?

Acura604 03-25-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8979796)
With all the money coming to us. Does this mean that our tax bracket is much higher when this virus is over?

its not a lot of money.

BIC_BAWS 03-25-2020 01:51 PM

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...sponse_benefit

Quote:

We will provide a taxable benefit of $2,000 a month for up to 4 months to:
  • workers who must stop working due to COVID19 and do not have access to paid leave or other income support.
  • workers who are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone who is sick with COVID-19.
  • working parents who must stay home without pay to care for children that are sick or need additional care because of school and daycare closures.
  • workers who still have their employment but are not being paid because there is currently not sufficient work and their employer has asked them not to come to work.
  • wage earners and self-employed individuals, including contract workers, who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit will be accessible through a secure web portal starting in early April. Applicants will also be able to apply via an automated telephone line or via a toll-free number.

This benefit replaces the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and the Emergency Support Benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...usinesses.html

Quote:

Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.
Quote:

Canadians would begin to receive their CERB payments within 10 days of application. The CERB would be paid every four weeks and be available from March 15, 2020 until October 3, 2020.
Quote:

Spoiler!

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8979728)
Sam smith crying from his 12m dollar mansion

*their

Slifer 03-25-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8979758)
Apparently its between EI or this handout. You cant stack it.

Pretty much means the people risking their lives working essential jobs get nothing.

Such BS lol.. wonderful system we have in Canada

Slifer 03-25-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8979796)

Oh you bet, nothing's free. We are gonna pay it back one way or another.

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2020 02:09 PM

Kind of shocked at some of the reactions to this. Like $2000 a month is this huge privilege for people to stay at home and sit on their asses, while the people who "have" to work can continue to make a regular living/savings wage :seriously:

Don't you think if people COULD work, they WOULD? Would you rather make $20K in 4 months doing your job, or $8K in 4 months stuck at home during a worldwide catastrophe?

We're supposed to be helping each other, and we (unlike some other countries) have the means to do so. So let's do it!

subordinate 03-25-2020 02:11 PM

Too many people living beyond their means getting caught naked - keeping up with the jones'es and for their 'gram. I think that's what some people are choked about Skinny. The fact that many need this emergency fund so soon, only a week after being laid off.

I hope this is a slap to reality for some to be more fiscally prudent. But alas, history will repeat it self.

Hondaracer 03-25-2020 02:13 PM

Dr. Bonny - as I’ve said groups need to stay under 50 people

Dr. Bonny - groups of 10 or more are not ok

Just say fucking DO NOT GO OUT, Jesus like she makes things wayyyyy worse than they need to be.

She did say however that there has been a 28% full recovery rate so that seems positive. She also said once you’ve recovered there seems to be long term immunity.

Slifer 03-25-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8979811)
Kind of shocked at some of the reactions to this. Like $2000 a month is this huge privilege for people to stay at home and sit on their asses, while the people who "have" to work can continue to make a regular living/savings wage :seriously:

Don't you think if people COULD work, they WOULD? Would you rather make $20K in 4 months doing your job, or $8K in 4 months stuck at home during a worldwide catastrophe?

We're supposed to be helping each other, and we (unlike some other countries) have the means to do so. So let's do it!

It should have been made available to everyone like what the states is doing because when this crisis is over, all of us will be paying the money back to the government not just the ones who received the aid.

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slifer (Post 8979816)
It should have been made available to everyone like what the states is doing because when this crisis is over, all of us will be paying the money back to the government not just the ones who received the aid.

This I tend to agree with. At least half that like the US is doing. I'll take it one step further and suggest that they make it a permanent thing. $2000 taxable a month for everyone in Canada

I wonder if this 4 month period is close enough to "real life" to make it a trial

underscore 03-25-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8979813)
She did say however that there has been a 28% full recovery rate so that seems positive. She also said once you’ve recovered there seems to be long term immunity.

I'm curious if there's plans to keep following some of those that have recovered. Earlier in the thread there were comments that recovered people in China were testing positive again (it was early on so who knows if that was even accurate) but I don't remember seeing if they actually got sick or were actually able to be contagious or what.

Hondaracer 03-25-2020 03:01 PM

Pretty crazy that like 10 of the 12 deaths or whatever are all from that same rest home

bigzz786786 03-25-2020 03:04 PM

What I don't get is if this applies to business owners or shareholders. I have a liquor store in Campbell river and now because employees are too scared to work, I'm out here working 7 days a week on shorter hours and not making anywhere near enough money to keep the shelves stocked and business a float.

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8979812)
Too many people living beyond their means getting caught naked - keeping up with the jones'es and for their 'gram. I think that's what some people are choked about Skinny. The fact that many need this emergency fund so soon, only a week after being laid off.

I hope this is a slap to reality for some to be more fiscally prudent. But alas, history will repeat it self.

I wouldn't just assume that people can't save up simply because they are trying to keep up with their richer friends (or even other poor friends who waste money on crap). Some people simply don't make enough money to do so while maintaining some sort of decent life. If they do save up, it's probably for their kids to go to college, or a meager addition for their own retirement.

A lot of these are the workers are providing the "essential services" we're currently relying on. Something to think about. That guy that delivered your food, the clerk at the grocery store, the people who keep the shelves stocked and the floors clean, and the garbage from piling up. These folks are also often the bottom earners, and they're the ones we need most right now.

It's a very right wing view to have, to assume that if someone didn't save up, it means they blew it all to show off on social media. Yes there are people like that, but I don't think they're the majority.

Mr.HappySilp 03-25-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

I don't agree on this. Some people like myself our jobs are essential service so we have no choice but to work. Our company was kind enough to let us work at home and that's great but our techs are out there doing install fixing people internet. Nurse doctor, that did delivery guy are all out working risking their lives. When this is all over they will also have to pay for the spending coz some people doesn't know meaning of saving for a rainy day through increase tax. How's that's fair.

MarkyMark 03-25-2020 03:47 PM

Life ain't fair. I probably won't get a dime of this money either but at the end of the day I'd rather keep working than be laid off getting only 2k a month.

I don't have kids but my tax money is constantly going towards people who do, should I bitch about getting some of that money back?

westopher 03-25-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8979827)
I don't agree on this. Some people like myself our jobs are essential service so we have no choice but to work. Our company was kind enough to let us work at home and that's great but our techs are out there doing install fixing people internet. Nurse doctor, that did delivery guy are all out working risking their lives. When this is all over they will also have to pay for the spending coz some people doesn't know meaning of saving for a rainy day through increase tax. How's that's fair.

You know "some people" paid fucking taxes too right? Some of them a lot more money, and for a lot longer than you have.
Times like this are a telltale of the types of people out there. I'm sure if you were laid off you'd be the first person to ask where your handout was. Guess what, lots of people are out there actually on the front lines, TREATING SICK PEOPLE, and they are still working, paying taxes, and wanting these measures SO PEOPLE ACTUALLY STAY HOME AND AREN'T FORCED TO FUCKING WORK TO SURVIVE. I genuinely wish people could opt out of paying taxes and not be allowed to take any of the benefits from them so they could see how it works.
Also, guess what would happen if a million people in this country weren't able to afford internet overnight? People like you would be laid off next. The economy is interconnected, and you aren't so special that you are exempt from that.

Spoon 03-25-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

In normal everyday conditions, I agree. But we're in the middle of an epidemic where we're trying to limit ourselves from exposure to a life threatening disease. Even if it's curable, if the results are anything comparable to patients who recovered from SARS, it's a terrible way to continue living.

I don't live paycheque to paycheque and can take the hit. So if this was even a choice, give me that dirty government money any day. The phrase "Money can't buy health" absolutely applies here.

inv4zn 03-25-2020 04:11 PM

Of course this isn't fair. None of it is fair. It's not supposed to be fair, and nothing is ever fair.

The phrase "We are all in this together" has multiple depths to it, maybe pull your head out a little bit and think beyond 'what about MEEE'. Apart from the mega-rich, literally everyone is going to get fucked by this. EVERYONE. Renters, owners, employees, self employed, old, young, low-income, middle-class, everyone.

So stop bitching about how you're getting fucked an inch deeper than the other guy, and start thinking about how you can massage each others asses to lessen the pain of getting unceremoniously fucked.

quasi 03-25-2020 04:12 PM

Hopefully that for some people who are living beyond their means not by necessity but by choice plan learn a lesson going forward and plan for shitty days like this in the future.

I was laid of in later 2010 and didn't work again until Oct. 2011, taught me a lot about being prepared for a rainy day. I'm really hoping I can continue to work from home but I don't know what next week or even tomorrow holds taking it day by day however if I do get laid off we're going to be alright this time.

For the record I'm not talking about those people who are maxed out just trying to get by and couldn't save if they wanted to but those people we all know that as long as they can make the minimum payment fuck it buy it.....