REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #576
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Like, there were two officers, let's hesitate and wait. If one officer gets taken out, then the 2nd officer will know to move onto the next step of enforcement accordingly...
Hold up. If there's two officers, where is the second officers tazer?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #577
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
With this case, it should have NEVER gotten to the handcuff stage ... what the hell was that for? Officer should have offered the guy a ride to his sister's house to sleep off the booze. You gotta know when someone is worth handcuffing and arresting and when someone is not.
I'm assuming the other officer ran his record during the conversation and noticed he had previous offenses so it was more precautionary. Who would have guessed he would have suddenly went 0-100 beast mode?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #578
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
With this case, it should have NEVER gotten to the handcuff stage ... what the hell was that for? Officer should have offered the guy a ride to his sister's house to sleep off the booze. You gotta know when someone is worth handcuffing and arresting and when someone is not.
Many states and provinces don’t allow you to sleep in your vehicle while drunk and it’s considered a DUI in many of those areas. I don’t know if that’s the case in Georgia, but if it’s treated as a DUI, I would imagine it’s protocol to take the individual into custody and have a blood sample taken at the station.

I don’t personally agree with that law (along with several other draconian DUI laws; BC having some of the strictest, most draconian laws in North America), but I don’t blame the officer if he was enforcing the law. It’s up to law makers to institute laws that make sense for society as a whole.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #579
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Many states and provinces don’t allow you to sleep in your vehicle while drunk and it’s considered a DUI in many of those areas. I don’t know if that’s the case in Georgia, but if it’s treated as a DUI, I would imagine it’s protocol to take the individual into custody and have a blood sample taken at the station.

I don’t personally agree with that law (along with several other draconian DUI laws; BC having some of the strictest, most draconian laws in North America), but I don’t blame the officer if he was enforcing the law. It’s up to law makers to institute laws that make sense for society as a whole.
According to this article where legal experts watch the whole scene, the police had the option to let him go.

Quote:
Up to that point, police had not administered a breathalyzer test. Harris said that test may not have been necessary if Brooks was willing and able to walk home, therefore not endangering the public by driving while impaired.

“It might be that lots of officers would make the arrest anyway. But there is a choice being made here. The police do not have to arrest him. They don’t even have to give him a breath test,” Harris said. The officer could have said “OK, leave the car there, leave the keys with me and I’ll drive the keys over to sister’s house and you walk home. Or I’ll give you a ride or get an Uber or whatever.

“Nobody says he has to make an arrest here. The law does not require it.”
This is an example of what I was talking about earlier - Cops acting more like social workers in keeping the streets safe, rather than enforcers.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #580
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Is this sarcasm I am not getting?

You want the cops to let go of a man who's been drinking and driving, and give him a ride home?
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #581
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,926 Posts
No, not sarcasm. He was drunk, PARKED in a Wendy's lot. Situation was under control for a good 30 -40 mins. Leave the car in the lot, give the guy a ride home (or his sister''s), give the guy a break, hope he learns his lesson, you've settled the situation. You go home to your family, he goes home, you're not charged for murder.

In this climate, a white cop giving a black man a break would have turned out 1000x better than how they actually went about it.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #582
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
From what I read, he was literally passed out in the drive-thru lane. So he drove there wasted and was clearly still attempting to drive.
How is that any different from getting caught driving through a Granville bridge road block drunk? Do you expect the VPD there to ask you nicely to step out so they can chauffeur you home and tuck you in?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #583
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
From what I read, he was literally passed out in the drive-thru lane. So he drove there wasted and was clearly still attempting to drive.
How is that any different from getting caught driving through a Granville bridge road block drunk? Do you expect the VPD there to ask you nicely to step out so they can chauffeur you home and tuck you in?
Without getting into personal details, I can tell you that I know people who have been pulled over in various states of drunkenness, and have been let off with warnings. (not anyone FN though, never heard of that happening although I'm sure it's happened)

Meanwhile I got suspended for my N sign falling over, 1 week after they were introduced (and also accused of being high, because I was in a good mood)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #584

For those of you who are familiar with the story Les Miserables? Who is the hero of the story? Javert, law and order police? The priest who gave Jean Valjean a break and the candlesticks to make a better life? Or, Jean Valjean, who turned his life around because of that one act of kindness?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #585
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xu.Vi View Post
It also took me many posts to understand that a public forum for cars isn't the right place to be having a mature, educated, and informed discussion about this. Which probably explains why I don't normally check or post on the scene.

I'm going to hop back off of this. I wish that those reading have learned something from our posts or took a perspective they're not normally comfortable taking. I appreciate the time you've put into your replies.
You are in my boat Xu, I feel exactly the same.

I appreciate your posts though, you clearly have a deep background on this subject, and you've taken the time to post very clear concise points and arguments. As Skinny had said earlier, we all have busy lives, and you've taken the time to have a respectful discussion, along with providing non-anecdotal facts.

Much respect to you, and I'm glad we have people like you working in the DTES.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #586
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
I'm really conflicted about the shooting in Atlanta.

On one hand, I find it quite telling that the other officer is testifying against the officer that opened fire. That takes a high level of intestinal fortitude, as I have no doubt that officer will be ostracized for taking that stance. Something must've been fishy if that officer is willing to put his job on the line to testify against his partner.

One has to wonder as well, if the man was white, would that officer have been more lenient? How often do we see white kids that commit petty crimes, and get a mere slap on the hand, meanwhile when we see a black kid commit the same crime, he's charged as an adult, and slapped with a life ending felony? We watched a documentary last night on that very subject, in fact.

In my opinion, you should never try and fight the police when getting arrested, that in itself is a death sentence. Why is the guy even being arrested? I've seen many friends get a DUI and go home in a cab right from the scene, the guy wasn't driving, suspend his license, tow the car, and call it a day.

Him fighting the cop, and running away with a taser was his death sentence, and that's why I'm conflicted on that one. At the end of the day though, he was running away, not running at the officer. So why open fire? Is that REALLY necessary? It's the same way the police here in Canada will not chase a fleeing vehicle, it's dangerous and puts others at risk, it's far easier to simply show up at the guy's house when it's all said and done.

Why not let the guy piss off, you have all his information, pick him up later that night for fleeing arrest. To open fire and kill him as your first option, meanwhile you have another officer with you as backup? It doesn't make sense.

I realize cops are humans too, but if you join that particular line of work, you are held to a higher standard. When a doctor botches a surgery, do we simply say "Oh well, he's only human". Of course not, doctors are held at an extremely high standard where there is very little room for mistakes.

Why aren't police held to that same standard?

Either way, here we are arguing about this one, where in the same state Ahmaud Arbery was shot dead in cold blood simply for jogging in broad daylight by an ex-police officer/investigator, with two district attorneys, and a judge who tried to cover it up.

We've seen hangings over the last few weeks that have initially been concluded as suicides, with the families pushing for further investigations. As a black man, who the hell hangs themselves from a tree nowadays, no chair, or anything? It seems very odd, given the history in the US. In New York, some people are putting up hanging nooses from trees.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-black-brother

https://www.ajc.com/news/people-colo...vRYn4Zqw0f1gL/

Stinks like a cover up to me, and I don't blame them, if it comes out that these men were killed in modern-day lynchings, there will be absolute hell to pay.

All of these issues are so obviously apparent here that the arguments in this thread seem all too ridiculous.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #587
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

I realize cops are humans too, but if you join that particular line of work, you are held to a higher standard. When a doctor botches a surgery, do we simply say "Oh well, he's only human". Of course not, doctors are held at an extremely high standard where there is very little room for mistakes.

Why aren't police held to that same standard?
There are hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by medical malpractice in the states. It's like the third leading cause of death.
Canada's numbers are about the same when adjusting for population.
If doctors operated at the same level of standard as police, we'd be lucky.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-18-2020 at 09:05 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #588

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
There are hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by medical malpractice in the states. It's like the third leading cause of death.
Canada's numbers are about the same when adjusting for population.
If doctors operated at the same level of standard as police, we'd be lucky.
Where are you seeing that? If you search this for "Complications of medical and surgical care" it's the lowest for the few groups it's even listed for. They add up to something like 29 per 100k people.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/n...r68_06-508.pdf
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #589
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...eath_in_the_us
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I just got sent the video and a link to the guy's google page. His Facebook page has been shut down and his google reviews are in the toilet.
Manic! You must be happy in contributing to the escalation between these 2 families and their businesses ... with a lot of collateral damage along the way. You're a DB and hopefully, mods will delete these kinds of posts in the future and not add to this kind of online vigilante justice. It's online violence ... there is no other way to describe it.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/shocking-video...tism-1.4990904

The Cheemas received negative reviews of their business on social media, and Riddoch posted the surveillance video on Saturday.

Karn Cheema posted his father’s cellphone video in response. That has been shared at least 300,000 times on various platforms.

And the backlash involved threats to Riddoch’s father’s business, vandalism, and “explicit threats to violently attack, sexually assault and murder myself and my family,” Riddoch posted.

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #591
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Manic! You must be happy in contributing to the escalation between these 2 families and their businesses ... with a lot of collateral damage along the way. You're a DB and hopefully, mods will delete these kinds of posts in the future and not add to this kind of online vigilante justice. It's online violence ... there is no other way to describe it.

The Cheemas received negative reviews of their business on social media, and Riddoch posted the surveillance video on Saturday.

Karn Cheema posted his father’s cellphone video in response. That has been shared at least 300,000 times on various platforms.

And the backlash involved threats to Riddoch’s father’s business, vandalism, and “explicit threats to violently attack, sexually assault and murder myself and my family,” Riddoch posted.
Quote:
Kayl Riddoch, seen in the video, said the racist comments he said were made in the heat of the moment and were out of character.

“I will never forget what I did and I will feel shame and regret over this forever,” he said.
He's only sorry that he was caught.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #592

Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,475 Posts
Quote:

Is the white guy your buddy? Just like Jagmeet Singh, I will not let racists hide. I will post every time it happens.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #593
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,910 Posts
With regard to Rayshard Brooks, he was drunk, and parked blocking the drive thru, really he should've just been thrown in the drunk tank for the night, or in an extremely ideal world, taken home to sleep it off.

The former is what was going to happen, but he wasn't just running away with a stolen police weapon, he pointed it at police, and supposedly fired it too, that prompts an instantaneous reaction, thanks to training, the officer has no time to reason out the possibilities.

I don't believe the charges will stick, I think the only reason he was even charged is due to the current climate, because the video evidence itself exonerated the officer.

And for the Surrey incident, I'm shocked he'd dare to be so grossly racist against South Asians there, you know he's only sorry because that video was uploaded.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #594
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
He's only sorry that he was caught.
that's a bingo. the guy was doubling down on his hateful shit for days after the videos were out on facebook. even his mom was backing him. POS family, only sorry they felt the consequences. saying racist shit in the heat of the moment doesn't make you less of a racist. you could just call people fucking assholes or tell them you fucked their mum last night like a normal person.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #595
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
CTV bleeps swears in video then types them out uncensored in the story.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #596
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Yup, the privilege is palpable. Trying to shame the business and not handling it like adults...POS and only sorry they're caught.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #597
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
are these the people we banging our pots for at 7pm?

Quote:
reports of health-care staff playing a racist game betting on the blood alcohol level of mainly Indigenous patients they were treating
https://globalnews.ca/news/7085230/b...ner_persistant

less off topic, uncle ben's also changing up their branding

Quote:
That reticence can be traced to the contentious history of Uncle Ben as the black face of a white company, wearing a bow tie evocative of servants and Pullman porters and bearing a title reflecting how white Southerners once used “uncle” and “aunt” as honorifics for older blacks because they refused to say “Mr.” and “Mrs.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/30/b...c2daa5&ei=5070

interestingly in asian circles, uncle/aunty is what you call friends and acquaintances your parents age out of respect

in b4 justice bao is unacceptable

Spoiler!
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Is the white guy your buddy? Just like Jagmeet Singh, I will not let racists hide. I will post every time it happens.
I've been harping on vigilante justice a number of times here. The issue isn't whether I liked what the white guy did or not, whether he apologized because he was caught or his parents whoooped his ass into it. I think the dude in the video is a DB as well ... kind of like you .... but I still wouldn't post shit like that and bring his family business down.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #599
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
if you saw the fb posts on the topic, his family chimed in and supported his behavior.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #600

Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,475 Posts
Quote:
I've been harping on vigilante justice a number of times here. The issue isn't whether I liked what the white guy did or not, whether he apologized because he was caught or his parents whoooped his ass into it. I think the dude in the video is a DB as well ... kind of like you .... but I still wouldn't post shit like that and bring his family business down.
As soon as you bring race into it all bets are off. Maybe if his parents raised him better but his parents are no different. I am not going to coddle a piece of shit racist. The fact you want to protect a racist speaks volumes.