REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #476
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Just have to say thanks for taking the time to post all that, knowing that most likely it will fall upon deaf ears. You have way more knowledge and way more patience than I ever would. I didn't think that anonymous letter from a "professor" was worth the 2 minutes it would take to read, but you went ahead and tore it down it piece by piece.

The 6 people you're addressing are just going to let it go right over their heads without processing it most likely, but I know there are a lot of lurkers here as well that are probably learning a lot from your posts and others too. Not everyone wants to speak up on this. Some are still learning, others just want to shit out their cognitive biases, and the rest are sorting everything out.

Even though it shouldn't be, I think this latest huge movement is making it seem "new" to a lot of people. It's up to you to decide what you find to be worth your time (I already gave up on the HK protest thread) and people shouldn't HAVE to count on you or others to explain everything to them over and over. So thanks again!

Speaking of Nigerians, man, when the news came out in China about Nigerian immigrants being sent out on the streets and not being allowed into restaurants or back into their homes, I saw a LOT of racism on twitter towards them from other African Black people... That kind of blew my mind at the time. I had no idea there was that kind of racism within Africa itself. Maybe it's just twitter though...
I appreciate that Skinny, I really do. Xu.Vi, among others in this thread have given some great rebuttals and breakdowns, it's excellent some of you folks took the time to break some of these issues down, and continue to do so.

You're right, while I am exhausted dealing with these same arguments, a friend of mine said something similar to what you have. He essentially said to not just give up providing knowledge and information to people you meet on these subjects, it may fall on deaf ears for some, but for others in might plant a seed of thought, maybe he's right. I like where your mind is going with that.

Oh yes, Candice Owens posted again, the right's favorite minstrel

That video posted of that journalist and those white nationalists is illuminating, and is an example of what we've been saying here. The collaboration of the police with that group of people is also quite telling, I really stand by my comments, the Civil War has not ended in the US, I see some very dark days ahead in that country.
Advertisement
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #477
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts

I'll keep posting footage of these protests, because most media won't unless something is on fire
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #478
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I work with the vulnerable and underprivileged demographics full-time and it's so disheartening to hear and see the things I come across. Just this afternoon I pulled over on Hastings because a man was laying semi-conscious and obvious signs of nodding off. The first thing he said to me was how grateful he was for taking the time to check up and call 911. When I acknowledged it, he said to me that not many people care for him or his people and it means the world to him to know he's valued as a person. He told me he has thoughts of suicide and planned to jump off a bridge because his wife died and had no one to connect with because his friends only stole from him.

Does this man need to work harder in order to get his life together? I see a man that has been oppressed by the system, people around him, and privileged fucks. Imagine walking down a neighbourhood getting looks, getting cussed at, called the cops on to leave a shelter and told to go home (what home?), or even have a cop spray "goof juice" in your pack of cigarettes after being checked for no reason other than staying in a tent (my neighbour, an RCMP officer of 2 years was telling me about how he has fun with the homeless in POCO whenever he gets a call).

This man doesn't put this so-called "blame" on the society...instead, he chose to live with all the pain because HeHe believes it's all up to the individual, right? But "see, it'S nOt SoCiEtY's pRoBlEm tHeNnN" ---- right. when our society continues to have these perceptions, they have no control over it, but they do have control in blaming themselves...putting themselves down...etc. Think about times where you were bullied...how did you feel?

As with mikeg, I'm more than happy to talk about this in person over a coffee. Better yet...I'm more than happy to take 2 hours out of my weekend for as many weekends we want to go for to have a FREE class on sharing my knowledge and hopefully engage in dialog about privilege, systematic oppression, our DTES, mental health, First Nations people, Black Americans, substance use, or poverty. All I ask for is your commitment, time, and an open mind...shoot me a private message. I've been doing my research on the above topics as a graduate student with high hopes on finding steps closer to solving the issues we've got, so I'm more than happy to share...and even learn more about how some of you come to your own conclusions.

Last edited by Xu.Vi; 06-14-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #479
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xu.Vi View Post
I work with the vulnerable and underprivileged demographics full-time and it's so disheartening to hear and see the things I come across. Just this afternoon I pulled over on Hastings because a man was laying semi-conscious and obvious signs of nodding off. The first thing he said to me was how grateful he was for taking the time to check up and call 911. When I acknowledged it, he said to me that not many people care for him or his people and it means the world to him to know he's valued as a person. He told me he has thoughts of suicide and planned to jump off a bridge because his wife died and had no one to connect with because his friends only stole from him.

Does this man need to work harder in order to get his life together? I see a man that has been oppressed by the system, people around him, and privileged fucks. Imagine walking down a neighbourhood getting looks, getting cussed at, called the cops on to leave a shelter and told to go home (what home?), or even have a cop spray "goof juice" in your pack of cigarettes after being checked for no reason other than staying in a tent (my neighbour, an RCMP officer of 2 years was telling me about how he has fun with the homeless in POCO whenever he gets a call).

This man doesn't put this so-called "blame" on the society...instead, he chose to live with all the pain because HeHe believes it's all up to the individual, right? But "see, it'S nOt SoCiEtY's pRoBlEm tHeNnN" ---- right. when our society continues to have these perceptions, they have no control over it, but they do have control in blaming themselves...putting themselves down...etc. Think about times where you were bullied...how did you feel?

As with mikeg, I'm more than happy to talk about this in person over a coffee. Better yet...I'm more than happy to take 2 hours out of my weekend for as many weekends we want to go for to have a FREE class on sharing my knowledge and hopefully engage in dialog about privilege, systematic oppression, our DTES, mental health, First Nations people, Black Americans, substance use, or poverty. All I ask for is your commitment, time, and an open mind...shoot me a private message. I've been doing my research on the above topics as a graduate student with high hopes on finding steps closer to solving the issues we've got, so I'm more than happy to share...and even learn more about how some of you come to your own conclusions.
I guess you are in similar field as my wife. My life works with many underprivileged kids.

I've said it before in my posts and I'd say it again.

All the miseries in life, whether one's black or white or whatever... happen because of reasons.

The person who you shown as an example, his wife passing might have caused some severe mental shock or he simply gave up. Something might had happened when he was younger... again... many many reasons could be behind it.

BUT... those are EXTREME cases.

For able bodies... the hundreds and hundreds of people that I saw them running 100mts like Usain Bolts while looting, I really can't say the same.

You are going to argue that my argument doesn't apply to everyone. I agree.

But for regular folks, a young healthy dude/dudette, if he/she is willing to work, live within their means and PUSH hard to DEVELOP (as in continuing in education, learning of any kind... etc) a career, it's REALLY HARD for me to believe that RACISM is ALL that stand in their way to becoming successful. And let me actually DEFINE "successful" here... I mean just a healthy financial and social balance where you can have some normal life.

Instead, what happens? My wife was down in SoCal for a fellowship that specializes in developing tools and guidelines to help minorities (mainly Latinos and Black) in distress to get back to their life. So I heard some cases she worked on. There were so many of them, who think WAY beyond their means. And they FELT that working in basic jobs are a WASTE of time because a pair of nice kicks would be a week worth of salary.

The sense of ENTITLEMENT was INSANE. They only see the blings and nice things in other people's life, but don't want to deal with all the HARDWORK that's prerequisite to achieve that. And when you ask them why aren't they working... they just tell you that they'd rather collect food stamps and other subsidies because the money they make at work gives them about the same. Like... wtf?! Never in their mind crossed that by working their way, and continue to develop a career plan, they can go from a basic wage job to something much greater.

I can't agree with BLM, besides that, I feel it's very politically motivated, because of this very ENTITLEMENT that I feel. And yet they blame it ALL on racism. Like if racism didn't exist, they would be all rolling in RRs and Ferraris. So... they feel that it's JUSTIFIABLE to loot... to break havoc in the society so they can GET what they want.

Do you get what I'm going with this?

I know there will always be those who can't make it in our society. That's why we make an assistance program to make sure they get the help they need. But there has to be a limit. What's being asked in BLM is the SAME HORSESHIT that the great Peronismo sold in Argentina. They want the fish, but don't want to learn and neither do the work of fishing... they just want to have the filet nicely cut there waiting for them.

And you know what happened when that took off? It's neverending process of blank cheques after blank cheques. First it's Black... then it's Latino, and then the Asians... finally even the white would get it because if you are giving money to everyone, it's only FAIR to give it to EVERYBODY. And by that time... the Black would think of asking something else and the cycle CONTINUES.

That's the HORSESHIT liberals want to sell in this BLM movement. They want the black to vote for them because they are the most SENSITIVE to the word "RACISM". If the black people can't see that BLM is nothing but a movement to use them as pawns, I really feel sorry for them.

ASK FOR FISHING COURSES FOR EVERYONE. Not FISHES.

Read all the requests of BLM and let me know which one is a fishing course? Nop... they just want to create a system where it's easier for them to legally get fish handed to them.

Tl;dr
There will always be cases where no matter what one does, he/she can't get out of it. But for the majority of people, if they are willing to work and continue to develop... a normal life is always within reach, with a CHANCE to have GREAT success.

Last edited by Hehe; 06-14-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Hehe is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #480
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #481
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Fox quoted a Reddit post while talking about the autonomous zone in Seattle, which they've also been caught faking photos of. What they failed to realize is the comment on Reddit is a slightly modified quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 PM   #482

Spoiler!

I spent 4 years working with children diagnosed on the spectrum as a junior behavioural consultant, behavioural interventionist, and an educational assistant. Each and every one of the students demonstrated so much talent, passion, and love towards their interests. A shocking amount of their parents/guardians unfortunately don't see what I see. Some parents ignore their interests and drill in the idea of education, some refuse to accept their child can't ever integrate into society as their "typical" peers will, and there are some that refuse to believe their child is on the spectrum. If our society integrated folks on the spectrum, their overall life experience would be far greater than what it is now...but in reality...it's not. We're told to work hard, go to school, get a good paying job...etc. Would you consider folks on the spectrum less able-bodied an extreme case and happened because of reasons (our society believes its either age, genetics, or vaccines [lmfao]). Do you think if our society changed the way we perceive, understand, and appropriately integrated these folks, they would have a better overall life?

I don't want you attempting to answer that question if you're not autistic, your child(ren) isn't autistic, your wife isn't autistic. I can't imagine what must go on mentally for these folks, let alone try and understand what our society can do for them. But what I can do is to better inform myself (minor in learning disabilities as well as early childhood learning) of what ASD is, try and connect with my students to their level of comfort (ie. don't give eye contact if they're uncomfortable, avoid long sentences, remove my "expectations" of a typical child,...list goes on).

Before you continue reading...please...stop sharing the stories of the people around you. I'd much rather speak with your parents, wife, or the black friends you've got if I wanted to create dialog. Reflect on why I ask this of you. You sharing your stories of the people around you do not "back up" this DISCUSSION because you've never lived it. One theme that does come up a lot in your posts is your disagreement and inability to empathize with the societal issues we've got going on. I get a sense that it's because you've never lived through it (living through your friends and family doesn't really demonstrate understanding towards a topic BUT, you ARE empathizing for them!!!!!).

Quote:
All the miseries in life, whether one's black or white or whatever... happen because of reasons
Yes. The Chinese were coming to Vancouver by the boat loads during the labour crisis in the early 1900's. What do you think the major reason was?

By 1920's, Canada encouraged Chinese people to ship over opium...eventually, Canada made a tariff for opium...taxing nearly 30% of what came in. What do you think the major reason was?

Once the labour crisis settled...the headtax came in...and $$$$ per head started going up to crazy amounts...subsequently, riots in Chinatown were happening. During this time, the Chinese imprisoned were far greater than most ethnicities for their possession of opium. Why?

The reason???? Because they came off a boat and worked their fucking assess off to be either segregated in the city, hiding, or in prison.

Quote:
The person who you shown as an example, his wife passing might have caused some severe mental shock or he simply gave up. Something might had happened when he was younger... again... many many reasons could be behind it.
In counselling practice, we avoid working with the clients' diagnoses and will always see them as an individual person rather than a DSM textbook. You're very fortunate that your wife is with you at this moment. You seem to recall very clearly about the hardships you went through as a child...and it seems to me you overcame them so well. Your courage and drive seem to be a tool for you to tell others to suck it up (maybe you did...and it worked! wonderful). I can't tell an autistic child to suck it up and go into this place we called society and ADAPT. We need to meet them on their level.

Quote:
BUT... those are EXTREME cases.
? Should we ignore the extreme cases because we can let a few off the bridge...? Too extreme to handle? Let them be (or die)?

Quote:
For able bodies... the hundreds and hundreds of people that I saw them running 100mts like Usain Bolts while looting, I really can't say the same.
Able-bodied =/= able-minded

Quote:
You are going to argue that my argument doesn't apply to everyone. I agree.
I've never considered our discussion an argument. If you feel that, i'm sorry.

Quote:
But for regular folks, a young healthy dude/dudette, if he/she is willing to work, live within their means and PUSH hard to DEVELOP (as in continuing in education, learning of any kind... etc) a career, it's REALLY HARD for me to believe that RACISM is ALL that stand in their way to becoming successful. And let me actually DEFINE "successful" here... I mean just a healthy financial and social balance where you can have some normal life.
Successful: Healthy financial and social balance that equates to "some" normal life.
--> This is how you defined your OWN success. When you're applying a self-created definition of success upon others, you're failing to realize how biased this is (and how it actually varies person to person).

My definition of successful is being able to provide my knowledge, support, empathy, and experience for folks that don't have my type of privileges...in order for them to live a life where they meet at the minimal 3/5 levels of the hierarchy of needs. How do we get there? That's going to differ for everyone.

Quote:
Instead, what happens? My wife was down in SoCal for a fellowship that specializes in developing tools and guidelines to help minorities (mainly Latinos and Black) in distress to get back to their life. So I heard some cases she worked on. There were so many of them,
Quote:
who think WAY beyond their means. And they FELT that working in basic jobs are a WASTE of time because a pair of nice kicks would be a week worth of salary.
Your wife. Not you. If I were your wife...I wouldn't be too happy hearing that sentence. If she agrees with you, she's definitely in the wrong line of work. Trust me. We have no room for folks with your type of mentality. It is counterintuitive. If you reside in Vancouver, I'm more than happy to spend a couple hours in the DTES with you -- for a walk to hand out some water and burgers. The things you'll learn and hear...you won't in your privileged group of friends. My question is, will you believe them? Why or why not?

You're AGAIN money managing for them. You think your way is the best way. You know the solution to it all. You know what they NEED to do. I've done numerous research papers, self-reflections, community work, volunteer work, and outreach WITH THE PEOPLE AFFECTED...and I STILL can't find an easy solution (big part being our government and a bigger part...the SOCIETY). I wish it was as easy as you make it out to be...because I'd have done that years ago without challenging greater education. I'm in it not only to be a voice for them...but to be one of many that WILL make a difference for their life and our future. (future meaning: children that get touched by their mum and dads, get sexually penetrated at age of 12 because of their parents or relatives, get lied to...abused..sworn at...by their "pimps", neglected children...). You can't relate to that...but you're assuming their responsibilities as a citizen in our society. You seem to know the answers for them. Oh wait, these are extreme cases right?

95% of the females in the DTES have endured and survived through 1 or more of those either on a single occasion or over a long period of time. BTW, i'm not even mentioning their adult experiences.

Quote:
The sense of ENTITLEMENT was INSANE. They only see the blings and nice things in other people's life, but don't want to deal with all the HARDWORK that's prerequisite to achieve that. And when you ask them why aren't they working... they just tell you that they'd rather collect food stamps and other subsidies because the money they make at work gives them about the same. Like... wtf?! Never in their mind crossed that by working their way, and continue to develop a career plan, they can go from a basic wage job to something much greater.
You're also emphasizing your own level of entitlement by saying this. You make it sound like they want to be looked and perceived like you mention.

Quote:
I can't agree with BLM, besides that, I feel it's very politically motivated, because of this very ENTITLEMENT that I feel. And yet they blame it ALL on racism. Like if racism didn't exist, they would be all rolling in RRs and Ferraris. So... they feel that it's JUSTIFIABLE to loot... to break havoc in the society so they can GET what they want.
The people fighting for BLM don't even have political strength. You and I are so fortunate to have this privilege. I choose to use my privilege as a voice for those that are often times unheard, misunderstood, or ignored.

Quote:
Do you get what I'm going with this?
I'm still getting a sense you're not trying to critically think. Rather, you're replying to prove a point that they're lazy and undeserving and if you had to work hard, so should they. Correct me if i'm wrong...it's late right now.

Quote:
I know there will always be those who can't make it in our society. That's why we make an assistance program to make sure they get the help they need. But there has to be a limit. What's being asked in BLM is the SAME HORSESHIT that the great Peronismo sold in Argentina. They want the fish, but don't want to learn and neither do the work of fishing... they just want to have the filet nicely cut there waiting for them.
The process in the assistance programs are bullshit because it's a bandaid for the harsh reality. You can't say you know, because you've not once demonstrated the willingness to hear these people out. You continue to create assumptions and expectations. Correct me if I've misinterpreted you.
Quote:
And you know what happened when that took off? It's neverending process of blank cheques after blank cheques. First it's Black... then it's Latino, and then the Asians... finally even the white would get it because if you are giving money to everyone, it's only FAIR to give it to EVERYBODY. And by that time... the Black would think of asking something else and the cycle CONTINUES.
Bruh. Your understanding and mentality is also a cycle that our society needs to break. I hope one day you will.

Quote:
That's the HORSESHIT liberals want to sell in this BLM movement. They want the black to vote for them because they are the most SENSITIVE to the word "RACISM". If the black people can't see that BLM is nothing but a movement to use them as pawns, I really feel sorry for them.
You'll feel sorry for them because they're pawns, but refuse to feel sorry for what's been going on to them now.

Quote:
ASK FOR FISHING COURSES FOR EVERYONE. Not FISHES.
Educate yourself on these topics before replying to topics you suddenly become passionate about. Ask yourself if it's fueled by frustration, anger, empathy, misunderstanding, or to understand. I can give you a rod but you ain't gonna know what to do with it if you're not taught how to fish. If you're not willing to learn, then what you say or think...isn't truly a reflection of what's going on in reality.

Quote:
Tl;dr
There will always be cases where no matter what one does, he/she can't get out of it. But for the majority of people, if they are willing to work and continue to develop... a normal life is always within reach, with a CHANCE to have GREAT success.
This is my last reply to you. You can send me a PM and we can speak face to face over coffee. I really encourage you to spend some time with me together in the DTES and really be engaged with the demographic you've been fighting against this entire time buddy. If you're worried about being stabbed, chased, spat on, harmed, or robbed...your chances are just as low in a west end neighbourhood.
If I offended you at any point in my reply, please accept my sincere apology as I'm very passionate about my work and studies. I tried my best to lay things out for you to think about.

Last edited by Xu.Vi; 06-15-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:00 AM   #483

Hehe, I get a strong feeling that you've got a wonderful heart and a deep understanding of the hardships you, your family, and your friends endured in order to be where everyone is at in life right now. There's not a moment I ever doubted your strength and commitment in wanting the best for folks without privilege. In fact, you've expressed passionately about your thoughts and potential solutions in helping these people become the greater being they can be. You acknowledge and believe in the potential that every being has. I really respect that of you, and I hope you don't feel attacked by members (including myself) when we reply to your posts. I chose to reply because of all the reasons above AND because you highlight many questions and ideologies that many here share, that aren't at times "a real reflection" of what truly goes on in society. That is why I offer you to join me in seeing and interacting with what we're really rambling about on this forum. We can't learn to understand if we don't interact with those we're trying to understand. I can only type so much and describe so much..but I too, have never experienced their hardships...so I won't ever be able to express their true thoughts and sentiments through a forum behind a keyboard.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #484

And to clarify, I'm not comparing the two demographics. But attempting to demonstrate that there are many demographics in our society that are automatically disadvantaged because of certain characteristics...in this case, maybe you can better resonate to it. Yes, the hardships differ but what stays solid is our generalized societal expectations for "typical" folks like you and i (ie. privileged, typical functioning, Asian in a western country,...list goes on.)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #485

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
So from what i gather, hehe has spent a large portion of his upbringing in a shithole in South America, struggling to get to where he is today, making responsible decisions.
But because he isn't the pinnacle of all handicaps, a black person, he couldn't possibly understand struggle and therefore need you to show him.

Good Lord never did i think the opinion that people, regardless of race, could achieve their goals if they implemented conviction, would be followed by such scrutiny.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #486

Lmao. You're absolutely hopeless.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #487

While making up just 12% of the us population, blacks are responsible for 52% of all homicides.
Of those victims, 90% are other blacks.
I can't think of a more assured way to increase those statistics than to defund/disband/dismantle the only institution trying to keep them from killing each other.

Just another city in a sea of cities, with a mountain of murders that go largely unheard.
-Norm Franz
Old 06-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #488

How much do you care about these people? Your insight on controlling violence within a demographic has been the solution for a number of years. How come it's not working? If it isn't working, do you keep beating a dead horse? Lots of the realities creating this disparity are the same realities you continue to plug your ears for. Many people hate the idea of welfare because they feel uncomfortable with others getting money while they have to work. As much as I want to continue replying, I unfortunately can't force on the idea of empathy when maybe, you weren't given much throughout your life. When many reasons why these people are in a place they are today have been listed throughout this thread, all over Google scholar, google, YouTube,..., it's clear you're choosing to avoid the realities you've never endured. That's not ok, but I won't sweat it - your implications are clear on where you stand and how you perceive them.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #489
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
So from what i gather, hehe has spent a large portion of his upbringing in a shithole in South America, struggling to get to where he is today, making responsible decisions.
But because he isn't the pinnacle of all handicaps, a black person, he couldn't possibly understand struggle and therefore need you to show him.

Good Lord never did i think the opinion that people, regardless of race, could achieve their goals if they implemented conviction, would be followed by such scrutiny.
His location says YVR/TPE.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #490
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
This picture should be the picture of the year. Talk about breaking down racial barriers.

This personal trainer Patrick Hutchinson helps an injured right wing protester by carrying the guy on his back. The police thanked the black guy for his efforts. What a Good Samaritan.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/14/uk/lo...rnd/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (12.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #491
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
Quote:
Lmao. You're absolutely hopeless.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #492

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Hehe, I get a strong feeling that you've got a wonderful heart and a deep understanding of the hardships you, your family, and your friends endured in order to be where everyone is at in life right now. There's not a moment I ever doubted your strength and commitment in wanting the best for folks without privilege. In fact, you've expressed passionately about your thoughts and potential solutions in helping these people become the greater being they can be. You acknowledge and believe in the potential that every being has. I really respect that of you, and I hope you don't feel attacked by members (including myself) when we reply to your posts. I chose to reply because of all the reasons above AND because you highlight many questions and ideologies that many here share, that aren't at times "a real reflection" of what truly goes on in society. That is why I offer you to join me in seeing and interacting with what we're really rambling about on this forum. We can't learn to understand if we don't interact with those we're trying to understand. I can only type so much and describe so much..but I too, have never experienced their hardships...so I won't ever be able to express their true thoughts and sentiments through a forum behind a keyboard.
Not at all. It's just a good exchange of different POV.

While I understand where you are going with your comments, my idea still holds.

By saying that not everyone has the mind capacity to pull what I, and many around me, off, you are suggesting that there is a HUGE SYSTEMATIC problem with these people... including blacks while we are on topic. Because you are basically suggesting their minds aren't able to stick to something and work their butts off for it.

This is so hard for me to digest.

You know what I think it's going on? Given the statistics+what I and you said: reasons, such as low education, family structure in distress (to say at least), and the general condition during their time growing up made the way they think and believe. And from my perspective, their beliefs are fucked up. When their mind GENUINELY BELIEVE that RACISM, and WHITES are all that prevented them from achieving success in life... without EVER questioning what they have done to IMPROVE it, there is no hope until you can change that mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
His location says YVR/TPE.
Just FYI, those are the 2 locations I frequent NOW. But I did grow up in SA and I'm fluent in Spanish, with a lil Portuguese too for casual conversation although my accent sucks hard. In fact, I consider my Spanish better than my Mandarin Chinese because I can't write Chinese anymore and in day-to-day convo, my vocabularies are very limited.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #493
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,351 Times in 5,654 Posts
With not getting too deep into it there is a legitamite “race to the bottom” type mentality these days amongst North Americans. It’s all over social media and very evident across all demographics

This is not even the “pull your boot straps” or “work a little harder” counter mentality

It’s literally blaming virtually anyone with any level of perceived success or wealth is the enemy and the reason for others being held down.

Covid has brought this out in full force. I’ve literally seen stories about like a ma and pa book stores where they were part of a news story about how their business may not survive and their customer base has shrunk etc.

A huge portion of the comments related to these stories are like “good for them these millionaire peices of shit will be ok!! What about the small guy?!?!”

Like people that are probably scraping by making a livelihood are now the enemy.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #494
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
my god this thread is such a broken record
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Not at all. It's just a good exchange of different POV.

While I understand where you are going with your comments, my idea still holds.

By saying that not everyone has the mind capacity to pull what I, and many around me, off, you are suggesting that there is a HUGE SYSTEMATIC problem with these people... including blacks while we are on topic. Because you are basically suggesting their minds aren't able to stick to something and work their butts off for it.

This is so hard for me to digest.

You know what I think it's going on? Given the statistics+what I and you said: reasons, such as low education, family structure in distress (to say at least), and the general condition during their time growing up made the way they think and believe. And from my perspective, their beliefs are fucked up. When their mind GENUINELY BELIEVE that RACISM, and WHITES are all that prevented them from achieving success in life... without EVER questioning what they have done to IMPROVE it, there is no hope until you can change that mindset.

Just FYI, those are the 2 locations I frequent NOW. But I did grow up in SA and I'm fluent in Spanish, with a lil Portuguese too for casual conversation although my accent sucks hard. In fact, I consider my Spanish better than my Mandarin Chinese because I can't write Chinese anymore and in day-to-day convo, my vocabularies are very limited.
That's cool dude. At the end of the day, it's what each of us individually do in order to best support our personal ideas. If inaction is the best course of action, so be it..but be mindful that there are people out in our communities that dedicate their entire careers and put in countless amount of energy, money, and commitment for the best interests of others ON TOP of their own personal life, families, and friends. I've put forward opportunities for you to join me and actually put your money where your mouth is. I can say that I truly understand where you're coming from because we come from the similar levels of privilege and your concerns for you and the loved ones around are are valid.

Last edited by Xu.Vi; 06-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
With not getting too deep into it there is a legitamite “race to the bottom” type mentality these days amongst North Americans. It’s all over social media and very evident across all demographics

This is not even the “pull your boot straps” or “work a little harder” counter mentality

It’s literally blaming virtually anyone with any level of perceived success or wealth is the enemy and the reason for others being held down.

Covid has brought this out in full force. I’ve literally seen stories about like a ma and pa book stores where they were part of a news story about how their business may not survive and their customer base has shrunk etc.

A huge portion of the comments related to these stories are like “good for them these millionaire peices of shit will be ok!! What about the small guy?!?!”

Like people that are probably scraping by making a livelihood are now the enemy.
That's absolutely tragic to be losing something you've poured your emotional, financial and physical energy into, banking on it to raise a family, community, or for self. There's numerous issues going on within every socioeconomical "group". You seem to have a good understanding for their losses and pain...watching a business pull back with high likelihood of it crumbling is so shitty. When there's very low incentive for employees to return to work because of CERB, owners are suddenly expected to fork out more than they would prior to this pandemic..there's not a bright road ahead.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #497
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
still get chills watching the ending

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #498

Quote:
How much do you care about these people? Your insight on controlling violence within a demographic has been the solution for a number of years. How come it's not working? If it isn't working, do you keep beating a dead horse? Lots of the realities creating this disparity are the same realities you continue to plug your ears for. Many people hate the idea of welfare because they feel uncomfortable with others getting money while they have to work. As much as I want to continue replying, I unfortunately can't force on the idea of empathy when maybe, you weren't given much throughout your life. When many reasons why these people are in a place they are today have been listed throughout this thread, all over Google scholar, google, YouTube,..., it's clear you're choosing to avoid the realities you've never endured. That's not ok, but I won't sweat it - your implications are clear on where you stand and how you perceive them.
You have absolutely no idea of anything I've had to endure or how much I care so please don't pretend to.
-Norm Franz
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You have absolutely no idea of anything I've had to endure or how much I care so please don't pretend to.
Oh boy. I don't, nor will I ever understand what you've endured and apologize if it seemed like my intentions were to. After rereading my post, I recognize that I was frustrated during the time of replying to your comment

Last edited by Xu.Vi; 06-15-2020 at 12:06 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #500

I'm also beginning to sound like a broken record in this thread. Within the spoiler is what my union, the BC Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU) sent out to it's members a couple hours ago. Take what you'd like from it everyone.

Spoiler!

Also...

Last edited by Xu.Vi; 06-15-2020 at 02:28 PM.